Sunday, April 13, 2014

11 Research Update

I have put my survey onto facebook about a week ago. I put it in the IHA Class of 2015 facebook group as well as on my own timeline. I have gotten a lot of responses so far and am noticing some patterns already, as well as some early flaws in my survey and research method. First of all, I know right off the bat that the my results are biased. The majority of my responses are from female participants. Second, most of my survey participants are in the upper middle classes, so I really can't get a good representation of the lower classes. I had anticipated this before I sent the survey out though. From what I have seen so far, it seems that there are definite aspects of classism in our society. The results indicate that over half of the survey participants have felt guilty for being "more well off" than those around them. There were people who felt inferior because they aren't as wealthy, but this number was significantly lower, due to the fact that most recipients were in the higher classes. According to my responses so far, although there is classism in my immediate society, it doesn't seem to have negatively affected the majority of my participants. I am surprised to see that almost all of the survey responders responded that they interact with those of a lower/higher social class than them very often. It just didn't seem very likely to me as most of my immediate surroundings are upper and middle class people. I am excited to see what the final responses will show and whether the results will follow the same kind of trends that they have started.

No comments:

Post a Comment